1971 ALPINE A110 1600 S
To this day, the Alpine brand remains one of the most heralded French motorsport manufacturers. The brainchild of Jean Redele, son of a Dieppe garagiste, the company began in early 1950s by developing improved variants of the Renault 4CV. The Renault association has remained in place since and their early adoption of fibreglass coachwork in the mid-1950s was to set the path for a venerable theme for years to come.
Introduced in 1963, the A110 Berlinette became the production of the marque. The rear-engined machine - mated to a steel chassis clothed in a sleek fibreglass body - offered superior handling characteristics to many of its contemporaries. Between 1969 and 1973, they produced the 1600 S variant, which was the superlative model. It became a dominant force in international rallying, initially taking several victories in the International Championship for Manufacturers and in 1973, it was Alpine who took Manufacturers’ honours in the inaugural WRC (World Rally Championship).
Only 800 examples of the 1600 S were built (approximately). The 1.6 Litre unit offered just under 140bhp through the 45DCOE carburettors, transferred power via a 5 speed gearbox and offered independent suspension and disc brakes all round. It was good for 125mph and 0-60 mph in circa 7 seconds - a real pocket rocket!
On file, we have confirmation that the car we offer was built by Alpine, Dieppe, in July 1971 and was originally yellow in colour. Early history is not known. However, by 1985, the car had found its way to Austria and was owned by Dr Helmut Czekal - the then head of VW Audi Motorsport, Austria. A year later, he sold it to fellow Austrian Thomas Weidlich who owned it until 1990.
Dr Gerhard Wolf then owned the car from 1990 until 2003 and in his tenure, it was treated to a comprehensive overhaul / restoration by German marque specialist Kern Tuning. This is when the colour was changed to the current - and correct - Alpine 488 Blue, and the wheel arches reverted to narrow Group 3 specification. In his ownership, he did several rallies with the car including the San Remo Rally Storico.
Via German Alpine Specialist/Dealer Jurgen Clauss, it was then sold to another German, Mr Jager. He owned the car until 2012 when it was purchased by the current UK custodian.
TECHNICAL / CONDITION STATUS
Engine: Standard (807-25) with correct twin sidedraft, Italian-made 45 DCOE carburettors mated to a period-appropriate DEVIL exhaust. In 2015, it was converted for reliability to a Lumenition optical ignition system with appropriate coil and leads to suit.
Gearbox: Rebuilt in 2017 by expert Steve Swann, with a new clutch and release bearing installed at the same time.
Brakes/Suspension: Standard all round with adjustable SPAX shock absorbers and ball joint steering arms.
It is fitted with a period correct rollcage; the seats have later Sabelt belts. As well as being authentic to period twin Agat Stopwatches, there is a period Halda, although this is disconnected in favour of a Brantz International 2 S Pro Rally tripmeter.
- UK V5 Registration document
- Alpine certificate of origin
- Copies of original homologation documents
- Copies of 1995 issued FIA papers
- Former Austrian registration paperwork
- Former German registration document (Fahrzeugbrief)
- Invoices and receipts for all parts and works under current ownership
Over 10,000kms have been enjoyed by the current owner. His focus has always been to have the car in sound mechanical fettle so that it drives as an A110 1600S should rather than in concours condition, only suitable for the show field but which one would be reluctant to venture out in. The car is priced accordingly which allows the future owner the opportunity (and budget headroom versus the price of a concours example) to either factor in cosmetic refreshing or, if competition/rallying is the priority, to leave the car as-is.
A well-known example, genuinely offered. Inspection recommended.